When you archive it removes the data from the mail server and stores it in a file where YOU specify. You need to keep that file; if you lose it then your archived emails are gone.
Save the file in several places immediately! It is YOUR responsibility.
An efficient way to reduce the size of your Outlook Data File (.pst) or Exchange mailbox is to regularly archive older items. Unlike a traditional backup in which a copy of Outlook items is made, archived items are moved to a separate Outlook Data File (.pst). Archived items can be accessed at any time by opening the file.
You can manually back up and archive items, in addition to AutoArchive or as a replacement. Manual archiving provides flexibility, and allows you to specify exactly which folders are included in the archive, and which archive Outlook Data File (.pst) is used.
To manually archive Outlook items, do the following:
1. Click the File tab
2. Click Cleanup Tools.
3. Click Archive.
4. Click the Archive this folder and all subfolders option, and then click the folder that you want to archive. Any subfolder of the folder you select is included in this manual archive.
5. Under Archive items older than, enter a date.
6. If you do not want to use the default file or location, under Archive file, click Browse to specify a new file or location. Browse to find the file that you want, or enter the file name, then click OK. The destination file location appears in the Archive file box.
7. Important, must read and understand: When you save the .pst file in the default location, the file will reside on the computer's hard drive. If you have Deep Freeze, that file will be lost if you reboot, and all messages that were archived will also be lost and unrecoverable. I would suggest saving your file to a thawed partition if you have one, or to a server location if your school is equipped with one. You can also save the file to a thumb drive, or, from the default location, burn the file to a CD/DVD
8. Select the Include items with "Do not AutoArchive" checked check box to include any items that might be individually marked to be excluded from automatic archiving. This option does not remove that exclusion from these items, but instead ignores the Do not AutoArchive check box for this archive only.
If you want to archive only manually, you must turn off AutoArchive. Do the following:
1. Click the File tab.
2. Click Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, under AutoArchive, click AutoArchive Settings.
4. Clear the Run AutoArchive every n days check box.
Please note the location of where you saved the .pst file. To open and view the contents go to the "File" menu and "Open" then click on "Outlook Data File…" select the .pst file that you saved in step number 7. All e-mails that were archived are moved (not copied) to the .pst file.